Whitley Bay High is the lead school in our alliance for applicants who wish to apply for secondary School Direct places following the tuition route.
School Direct is a new route into teaching which allows participants the opportunity to work closely with schools to gain Qualified Teacher Status.
Whitley Bay Teaching School Alliance (WBTSA) is looking to recruit individuals passionate about careers in education and is offering training places in partnership with Newcastle University and Northumbria University.
We will be recruiting trainees to commence in September 2015 for jobs across the partnership in the following subjects:
Art - 1 Place available
Biology - No Vacancies
Business Studies - 1 Place available
Chemistry - 2 Places available
ICT - No Vacancies
Design and Technology - 3 Places available
English - No Vacancies
Geography - 1 Place available
History - No Vacancies
Maths - 8 Places available
MFL - 1 Place available
Physics - No Vacancies
If you are thinking of undertaking training to become a teacher in the future, you should be aware of the entry requirements for whichever course you wish to undertake. For 2015 these are:
Why train with WBTSA?
- A degree (BSc, BA, BS, etc.) 2:2 and above (1st or 2:1 preferred). For Secondary applicants the subject content should be 50% of the subject you wish to train to teach in. If your degree subject does not link closely to your chosen teaching subject, you can apply to undertake a subject knowledge enhancement course.
Any offer of a place will be on condition of completing this course.
- GCSE English and Maths at grade ‘C’ or above
- We expect that you are able to tell us about recent and relevant experience in a relevant school setting, preferably within the last 12 months. You should also ensure that your references are able to tell us about your skills, experience and the contribution you made.
- You will be required to pass the literacy and numeracy skills tests if you are offered a place, which must be completed before the course begins
- You will be required to have an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check
- Original qualification certificates must be provided at interview.
* The opportunity to train in a vibrant, innovative Teaching School Alliance which believes in ‘students first’.
* High quality professional learning opportunities from across the Alliance.
* Access to a range of placements to ensure a varied training programme.
* Support from experienced Professional and Subject Mentors. An opportunity to start your career with schools that have expertise in the professional development of teachers.
Applicants must be aware that they may be placed in any of our partner schools throughout the year. You will also be expected to attend training at Whitley Bay High School as well as the HEI providing the training. The travel implications of this are something to bear in mind when selecting a School Direct place. Our partner schools who intend to provide training places for 2015 are:
The UCAS application system opens on 28th October 2014 for 2015 entry.
The Interview Day
Whitley Bay High is the Lead school in our alliance and we will be co-ordinating the recruitment process.
This will involve spending time at the school, having a carousel of interviews, talking to a range of experienced staff about your school experiences and subject knowledge, as well as an opportunity to discuss a lesson you will be expected to plan prior to the interview.
The interview panel will consist of representative/s from the host (placement) school, someone from Leadership at the Lead School and a representative from our university partners Newcastle or Northumbria.
The majority of the interviews will take place at Whitley Bay High School, however this may vary depending on your subject specialism.
It is a rigorous and thorough process, designed to get the best match of applicant to the places available.
Original documentary evidence of degree and GCSE qualifications must be provided at interview.
Please download our draft training programme below:
Alternatively, come and meet us.....
We will be holding a Taster Event on 24th Febuary 2015 for anyone interested in teaching. For more infomation please download our flyer below:
Please direct any queries to: firstname.lastname@example.org