About the Redevelopment
The School Rebuilding Programme aims to provide a high-quality learning environment to support Whitley Bay High School’s ethos to provide education, extra-curricular activities, personal and social development opportunities which inspire all students to achieve their personal goals and succeed.
The rebuilding project is managed and funded by the Department for Education as part of the first wave of a national School Rebuilding Programme and involves part-demolition of the existing main blocks (A-C), sports hall and modular accommodation. Two blocks, built post-2000, will be retained (D and the 2013 Science wing). The school, with the support of the Local Authority, is fully engaged with the development process.
The new school building will include a wide range of departments zoned around a central landscaped area, including –
- Large hall for assemblies, performance and dining.
- Sports hall and activity studios.
- Sixth form social and study area with lecture theatre.
- Specialist spaces for ICT, Technology, Science, Food Technology, Graphics and Textiles.
- General teaching rooms for other subject areas including English and Maths.
- Designated internal and external areas for students with additional needs.
- Provision for pastoral support with staff located in key areas of the building.
- A large football pitch replacing the current pitch which will accommodate the new building.
Building for a sustainable future
The School Rebuilding Programme is committed to delivering buildings which are net zero in operation, supporting students and teachers to make a positive impact on the environment.
The following approach will allow us to achieve this –
Take a virtual tour and visit areas of the new building including the main hall, external courtyard, Sixth Form study and social area -
The project has been carefully planned to ensure the school can remain fully operational throughout construction, whilst ensuring a clear separation between the building works and the operational school.
- It is anticipated that construction will begin in May 2022.
- School to be operational in new accommodation in September 2023.
- Demolition of redundant buildings - September 2023 to July 2024
- External works including sports pitch – July 2024 to December 2024
See the new build in progress
8th April 2022 – Media Studies students take still shots and drone footage of the existing site and new build development zone. Click Here to view the footage.
24th May 2022 – North Tyneside Elected Mayor Norma Redfearn CBE joined students, staff, governors, and members of the Project Team, for the official ground cutting ceremony to celebrate the beginning of construction for our state-of-the-art new build. Click here to view photographs and read more about the occasion.
Whitley Bay High School Archive
Senior Library Assistant, Caroline Angus, has put together a collection of images and information of our current school buildings, dating back to 1962.
Please Click Here to visit this collection.
For all enquiries regarding the new school build please email - firstname.lastname@example.org.